Sunday 14 October 2012

As Advertised



Del Piero vs Heskey
On Saturday I attended Sydney FC’s opening home game of the season against Newcastle. Whilst that’s what the tickets said on them, I think it’s fair to say most of the 35,000 people in attendance were thinking more specifically about seeing Alessandro Del Piero vs. Emile Heskey.

This is a make or break season for the A-League and this game had the potential to heavily influence how successful this season could be. Were the game itself and the marquee players to not live up to the hype, then many casual fans who came to the game or watched it on TV would either lose interest or at least take a step in the wrong direction. However if the game and players did live up to the hype, then it could help the interest of these fans snowball and bring them back for more.

Whilst the result of the match didn’t go the way the majority of the crowd wanted, with Newcastle triumphant 3-2, I don’t think anyone could have asked for a better spectacle. If you asked the A-League to write a list of things they wanted that game to include they would have included:


  • Lots of goals and action
  • Del Piero scoring (preferably from a free kick or long range shot)
  • Heskey scoring
  • Overall entertaining game

All four items on the above list happened and the approx $25 I paid for a ticket almost felt like it wasn’t enough. Even as a Sydney FC fan, I didn’t walk away from the game in the mood I usually have when I see the team I support lose, because what I witnessed was bigger than the 3 points on offer.

Having to wait in a queue to enter and exit Allianz Stadium is something I haven’t experienced in years for any sport and the atmosphere was amazing. The Cove was rocking and the Newcastle fans made more noise than you’d think possible from the travelling fans and it’s a credit to both fan clubs.

I went to the game hopeful we were going to get to witness a good spectacle, but having spent the morning watching Argentina put on a show against Uruguay, I worried that I’d walk out remembering that the A-League simply can’t compete for entertainment value against the better quality leagues. Fortunately those worries were put to bed.

Despite the quality of the match and how great it was to see Del Piero and Heskey score high quality goals, it is certainly important that Sydney FC right the ship and start getting some results soon. Sydney is a town that struggles to follow a losing team and if they continue to lose, many fans will eventually drop off no matter how well Del Piero plays.

Ian Crook doesn’t have the luxury of time to build to something. Sydney FC needs to be a contender this season and capitalise on the opportunity they have. I don’t think his job is at risk just yet, but in a couple more weeks that might change if the results don’t.

On the other hand, Newcastle’s attack looked great. Not only Heskey, but his attacking partners in Ryan Griffiths and Craig Goodwin were fantastic. Goodwin is only 20 and the Melbourne Heart will be left kicking themselves for letting him go. It’s a name I think football fans should keep an eye on. Meanwhile to suggest Ryan Griffiths won the battle against brother Adam would be an understatement. Adam was awful in defence for Sydney and once Crook took Adam Griffiths and Terry McFlynn off they looked far better and I hope he has the courage to drop two of his veterans if they are better without them.

Overall I went into this season excited about the prospects of the A-League and I walked away last night even more excited than before. Time will tell whether it was a one-off that I’ll reminisce about one day or whether it really was the start of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment