Tuesday 5 June 2012

Daniel Cousens: NRL CEO

Outgoing NRL CEO David Gallop looking delighted

So with David Gallop “stepping down” and no obvious replacement candidates really standing out to take the position, I’ve decided to throw my hat in the ring to become the new CEO of the ARLC/NRL.


I think I’m a perfect candidate. Not only do I love the game and know so much about it, but the NRL needs to inject some youth into their administration to get some fresh ideas.

OK so I’m not a lawyer and I’ve never negotiated a billion dollar TV deal or managed staff. Plus I don’t like high stress environments or working in an office. Whatever, we can work around it... I’ll work from home. And sure when I did have a job in football I lasted all of six weeks before quitting, but I have a good feeling about this one!

It’s a perfect job for me, I get to not only complain about all the things I’d want improved in the game, but actually change them.

The first thing I’d do as CEO is demand that the Bon Jovi “This is our House” theme song was never played again in an NRL setting. Ideally we’d bring back “Simply the Best”, but that’s secondary to getting rid of the crime against humanity that is this Bon Jovi debacle.

After that I’d launch some sort of huge, expensive investigation into the standard of refereeing. To be honest the NRL is no worse than every other sport in this regard, but if only someone could fix it in one sport, maybe all the rest would find a way to follow.

I’d also demand that video refs were provided with a TV built after 1998 when the NRL first launched, preferably at a size bigger than an iPad as well. Might make their job a bit easier if they were watching the replays on the same screens everyone at home had.

After that I’d demand that we either got rid of Toyota Cup and went back to the old Reserve Grade/Jersey Flegg system, or alternatively change the age limit on Toyota Cup from 20 to either 21 or 23. That way we keep Toyota’s sponsorship money.

I’d also look to tinker with the salary cap to find a way to reward teams for developing their own players. Whether that means the player is local, or maybe if they at least came up through their Toyota Cup team and played their first grade debut at the club, there should be some sort of salary cap concession for this. However it can’t be such a huge concession that the Broncos, Warriors and Storm win every single year. We’d find a happy medium.

I would also have to be talked out of making every Rabbitohs win worth four points rather than the usual two, but I’d seriously consider it.

Other ideas as NRL CEO might include changing Golden Point to Golden Try, an ice hockey sinbin system as mentioned in a previous blog and I’m sure many other great innovations.

Plus somewhere along the way I’d talk someone into giving us a billion dollars to show the game on TV... you know that old chestnut.

If you have ideas for what I should implement as NRL CEO, feel free to comment and pass on your suggestions. I might even hire you as my 2IC.

1 comment:

  1. As CEO of the NRL, could you please ensure that State of Origin is not played in Melbourne. While you're at it, if NSW wins one game of the series can we call it a clean sweep?
    A few others to take into consideration;
    • Players faking injuries should be penalised *cough* Thurston, just like in Soccer you would receive a yellow card.
    • Homosexual players should not be discriminated against such as the case was with Hopoate. Sometimes players need a bit of a finger to get them to play the ball.

    And last of all..
    • Referees must undergo OPSM eye examinations 24hrs prior to kickoff.

    Best of luck buddy.

    ReplyDelete